John Speller's Web Pages Ashbourne Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - North Staffordshire Railway

Ashbourne Branch Untitled Untitled
The North Staffordshire Railway's Ashbourne Branch ran from Rocester on the Churnet Valley line to Ashbourne. There were intermediate stations at Norbury (later Norbury & Ellastone, then Norbury & Ellaston) and Clifton (later Clifton Mayfield). On 4 August 1899, on the opening of the London & North Western Railway's Ashbourne Branch from Buxton, a new joint station was opened to the north-west of the original North Stafford station, which then closed. The line closed to passenger traffic on 1 November 1954 and to goods on 7 October 1963.
Thompson "B-1" Class 4-6-0 No. 61004 with a Rail Tour at Ashbourne Joint Station on 11 May 1963. Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
North Staffordshire Railway 4-wheel third class coach, such as would have been operating services on lines such as the Ashbourne Branch at the end of the nineteenth century
The original timber viaduct over the River Dove at Norbury was replaced with this new steel span in 1901
Map of the North Staffordshire Railway's Ashbourne Branch
Site Contents Untitled