John Speller's Web Pages Adams Locomotives

John Speller's Web Pages - North Staffordshire Railway

Adams Locomotives Untitled Untitled
John Henry Adams (1860-1915) was the son of William Adams, Locomotive Superintendent successively of the Great Eastern and London & South Western Railways. After a period as Assistant Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Superintendent of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway, he was appointed Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Superintendent of the North Staffordshire Railway in 1902, where he remained until his death in 1915. He was noteworthy for fitting his locomotives with more reliable bearings, for introducing bogie coaches to the North Staffordshire Railway, and for modernizing Stoke Works. His "L" Class 0-6-2 tanks, subsequently modified with Belpaire fireboxes and improved cabs as the "New L" Class, were particularly successful. A total of 34 of them were built between 1903 and 1923.
Adams "L" Class 0-6-2T No. 165, built 1903. Illustration from the Railway Magazine, March 1903
Adams "New L" Class 0-6-2T No. 18 leaves Stoke with a Derby-Crewe train. The design was perpetuated by Hookham and was built into LMS days. No. 48 of this class, built 1923, was the last engine built at Stoke Works
Adams "G" Class 4-4-0 No. 86 leaves Stoke-on-Trent with a Euston express composed of L&NWR stock
Adams "G" Class 4-4-0 No. 86, built 1910
Site Contents Untitled