John Speller's Web Pages York & North Midland Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Eastern Railway
York & North Midland Railway
The York & North Midland Railway was authorized by an Act of 21 June 1836 to build a line of 71 miles and 10 chains from the Great North of England Railway near York to a junction with the North Midland Railway at Normanton. There was also a junction near the center of the line with the Leeds and Selby Railway. The first section of the line, from York to the junction with the Leeds & Selby Railway at South Milford, was opened on 29 May 1839, with the rest of the line following on 30 June 1840. A 48-mile branch to Scarborough was opened on 7 July 1845. Another branch from Church Fenton to Harrogate via Wetherby and Tadcaster opened on 20 July 1848. The York & North Midland Railway absorbed the Leeds & Selby Railway in 1844, the Whitby & Pickering Railway in 1845, and the East and West Yorkshire Junction Railway (Harrogate to York via Knaresborough) in 1852. It merged with the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway, the Leeds Northern Railway and the Malton and Driffield Railway to form the North Eastern Railway in 1854.
Map of the York & North Midland Railway
Crimple Viaduct on the York & North Midland Railway's Harrogate Branch in 1847
LNER No. 4472 "Flying Scotsman" with an excursion at Sherburn-in-Elmet in 1983. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Boiler explosion on the York & North Midland Railway, c. 1850. The 0-6-0 locomotive seems to be a long-boilered Kitson engine of 1845. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled