John Speller's Web Pages Bishop Auckland & Weardale Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Eastern Railway
Bishop Auckland & Weardale Railway North Eastern Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Bishop Auckland & Weardale Railway, operated by the Stockton & Darlington Railway, opened as far as Crook on 1 November 1842. The North Eastern Railway subsequently extended it further up the Wear Valley between 1845 and 1867. A branch ran from Wear Valley Junction (originally Witton Junction) to Forsterley and Stanhope. A disused section of the former Stanhope & Tyne Railway (built 1831) was utilized to form a further extension between Burnhill and Consett. The line north of Bishop Auckland was closed to passengers on 8 March 1965 and to goods on 1 November 1965.
Map of the Bishop Auckland & Weardale Railway and connecting North Eastern Railway lines
Shildon station, circa 1920
Wear Valley Junction station, circa 1910
Bishop Auckland, 10 May 1965. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled