John Speller's Web Pages Harrogate & Church Fenton Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Eastern Railway
Harrogate & Church Fenton Railway North Eastern Horizontal Menu Untitled
What was variously called the "Harrogate & Church Fenton Railway" and the "York & North Midland & Harrogate Railway" began life as the Harrogate Branch of the York & North Midland Railway, a constituent of the North Eastern Railway. Construction began at Church Fenton in 1845 and the line opened to Spofforth on 10 August 1847 and to Harrogate on 20 July 1848. Later connections were made with the Leeds to Northallerton line at Harrogate and an additional line from Cross Gates to Wetherby was opened in 1876. The line was doubled in 1901 and at this time the original station at Wetherby became goods only, and a new passenger station was built to the south. Stutton station closed to passengers on 1 July 1905, and passenger service on the rest of the line from Pannal Junction to Church Fenton Junction was withdrawn under the Beeching Axe on 6 January 1964. Goods service ceased on 30 November 1966.
Map showing the Harrogate & Church Fenton Railway
Worsdell D-17 Class 4-4-0 No. 1690 with a passenger train at Thorp Arch station in around 1910
An early view of the Crimpet Viaduct on the Harrogate & Church Fenton Railway
A view of Tadcaster station in around 1905 when it still retained its fine overall roof
Site Contents Untitled