John Speller's Web Pages Nidd Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Eastern Railway
Nidd Valley Railway North Eastern Horizontal Menu Untitled
The 14-mile single-track Nidd Valley Railway ran from Nidd Junction on the Harrogate to Ripon line to Pateley Bridge. Construction began in 1860, and the line opened on 1 May 1862. [The Nidd Valley Light Railway, a municipal line owned by Bradford Corporation, extended the rails another 6 miles to Lofthouse in 1907.] The intermediate stations on the Nidd Valley Railway were Ripley Valley, Hampsthwaite, Birstwith, Darley and Dacre. Passenger service was withdrawn from the the branch on 31 March 1950, with closure to goods following on 30 October 1964.
Map of the Nidd Valley Railway and connections
Pateley Bridge station in a postcard view of around 1905
Hampsthwaite station. Image copyright David Rogers and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Pateley Bridge station in another postcard view of around 1905
Site Contents Untitled