John Speller's Web Pages Lanchester Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Eastern Railway
Lanchester Valley Railway North Eastern Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Lanchester Valley Railway was authorized by an Act of 1860 to construct a 15 mile line between the iron and steel works at Consett and the East Coast Main Line at Durham. The line opened on 1 September 1862 and the mineral traffic was sufficiently heavy that the North Eastern Railway doubled the track in 1870. There were intermediate stations at Aldin Grange (later Bearpark, later Aldin Grange for Bearpark), Witton Gilbert, Lanchester and Knitley. Passenger traffic was never heavy, and the LNER closed the line to passengers on 1 May 1939. Complete closure followed on 5 July 1965.
Map of the Lanchester Valley Railway and connecting North Eastern Railway lines
Lanchester station, circa 1910
Witton Gilbert station, circa 1910
Aldin Grange station, 10 May 1965. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled