John Speller's Web Pages Hexham & Allendale Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Eastern Railway
Hexham & Allendale Railway North Eastern Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Hexham & Allendale Railway was incorporated by an Act of 19 June 1865 to build a 2¼-mile branch from Border Counties Junction, just west of Hexham, Northumberland, on the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway (NER), through the hilly terrain of the East Allen Valley to Allendale. The chief promoter of the line was Wentworth Blackett Beaumont, 1st Baron Allendale (1829–1907), owner of the WB Lead Mining Company. The Engineer was Thomas John Bewick (1821-1897), who was primarily a mining engineer and the brother of the Bishop of Newcastle. The line actually stopped at the Catford Road, a mile or so short of Allendale proper. It opened to traffic on 1 March 1869. Most of the traffic was related to the district’s lead and coal mines and to the lead smelting plants at Langley-on-Tyne and Allendale, and passenger traffic was always light. The branch closed to passengers on 22 September 1930, and to goods on 20 November 1950.
Map showing the North Eastern Railway's Allendale Branche and connections
Former North Eastern Railway Worsdell Class "O" 0-4-4T (LNER Class "G-5") No. 1693, of the type used on passenger services on the Allendale Branch in the 1920s
Postcard view of Allendale station looking south in around 1905.
Langley station in a postcard view of around 1905
Site Contents Untitled