John Speller's Web Pages Reston to Duns Line

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Reston to Duns Line North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The North British Railway opened its Reston to Duns (originally Dunse) branch line on 13 August. The line was double tracked and 6-miles long. It connected with the North British Railways Duns to St Boswells branch, the Berwickshure Railway, opened in stages in 16 November 1863 and 7 October 1865, by an end-on junction at Duns. Nonetheless the double tracking proved a little optimistic, and the Reston to Duns line was singled in 1869. There were two intermediate stations between Reston and Duns, Chirnside and Edrom. The storms of 12 and 13 August 1948 severed the North British line between Duns and Greenlaw, following which the branch reverted to terminating at Duns, as it had done prior to 1863. Passenger service between Reston and Duns was withdrawn on 10 September 1951, followed by goods service on 5 February 1962.

Map showing the North Eastern Railway's Reston to Duns Branch Line
Reston station looking south in around 1910, with the bay for the Duns Branch on the right. Image copyright Graham and Emma Maxwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Edrom station in about 1914
Worsdell's "G" Class 4-4-0s (LNER Class D-23) were rebuilt from older 2-4-0 locomotives in the early 1900s and were in use on the Duns Branch from the Grouping until their withdrawal in the late 1920s
Site Contents Untitled