John Speller's Web Pages Peebles Loop

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Peebles Loop North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Peebles Loop consisted of two separate lines, the Peebles Railway and the Galashiels & Peebles Railway. The Peebles Railway was incorporated under an Act of 8 July 1853 to build a single-line railway, 18 miles 60 chains long, from the Edinburgh & Hawick Railway at Eskbank to Peebles. The notorious Thomas Bouch of Tay Bridge Disaster fame was Engineer. When the Peebles Railway opened on 4 July 1855 it was responsible for running its own trains with two 0-4-2 tender engines named "Neidpath Castle" and "Roslin Castle". The line was leased by the North British Railway on 1 July 1861 and amalgamated with it on 1 August 1876. A serious accident occurred near Leadburn on 29 October 1863 when some wagons ran away off the Dolphinton branch (then still under construction) and collided with a passenger train, killing one person and injuring a number of others. The Galashiels & Peebles Railway was incorporated by an Act of 28 June 1861 and completed the loop from Peebles to the Edinburgh & Hawick Railway at Galashiels, a distance of 18 miles 12 chains. The Galashiels & Peebles Railway opened on 18 June 1866, and thereafter some Edinburgh expresses over the Waverley Route ran over the Loop on the down journey, returning via the main line on the up run. The line closed under the Beeching Axe on 27 Marh 1967.
Map of the Peebles Loop
Pomathorn station in a postcard view of around 1905
Eddleston station in a postcard view of around 1905
Bonnyrigg station, 10 September 1962. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled