Esk Valley Railway John Speller's Web Pages Esk Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Esk Valley Railway
North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Esk Valley Railway, which ran from Esk Valley Junction on the Peebles Railway to Polton via Broomieknowe and Lasswade, arose from a desire to provide access for the important papermills on the Esk River. The company obtained its Act on 21 July 1863 and after numerous delays the line opened for traffic on 16 April 1867. Sir Thomas Bouch was the Engineer and the major engineering works on the line were the 430 yd. Broomieknowe Tunnel and the 6-arch Lasswade Viaduct. The line closed to passengers on 10 September 1951, and to goods traffic on 18 May 1964.
Map of the Esk Valley Railway
Polton station, terminus of the Esk Valley Railway in around 1910
The 6-arch Lasswade Viaduct over the River Esk, designed by the infamous Sir Thomas Bouch
Site Contents Untitled