Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton Railway John Speller's Web Pages Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton Railway
North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton Railway was authorized by an Act of 2 June 1862 to build a 10-mile branch line from Leadburn on the Peebles Loop of the North British Railway westward to the town of Dolphinton. There was an authorized capital of 400,000 in 10 shares with the option to borrow an additional 13,000. The Engineer was the ill-fated Sir Thomas Bouch (1822-1880). The line was operated by the North British Railway, which absorbed it on 16 July 1866. There was later a junction with the Caledonian Railway's branch from Carstairs to Dolphinton. The line closed to all traffic on 1 April 1933, though the Leadburn to Macbie Hill section reopened in 1939 to serve an army camp and remained open until 1960.
Map of the Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton Railway
North British Railway "Z" Class 0-4-2 well tank No. 107 with a mixed train for the Dolphinton Branch at Leadburn in 1868
A bridge from the former Dolphinton branch of the North British Railway near Lamancha. Note the frequent repairs with "engineer's blue" bricks. Image copyright A. M. Jervis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Broomlee (for West Linton) station in a postcard view of around 1910
Site Contents Untitled