Berwickshire Railway John Speller's Web Pages Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Junction Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Junction Railway
North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Junction Railway was incorporated by an Act of 26 June 1846 to build an 8 mile line from just east of Dumbarton at Bowling, where it connected with steamships on the River Clyde to Glasgow, to Balloch Pier on Loch Lomond. The line opened on 15 July 1850. It was noteworthy in that the Locomotive Superintendent between 1851 and 1853 was the celebrated Patrick Stirling (1820-1895), later Locomotive Superintendent of the Great Northern Railway. In 1862 the Directors entered into an agreement to amalgamate with the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway (which became the North British Railway after 1865); this agreement was unanimously approved at the company’s general meeting and confirmed by an Act of 7 July 1862. On 31 October 1891 an agreement was reached between the North British and Caledonian Railways for the Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Junction Railway to become a joint line, the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Railway, which enabled the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway to gain access to Balloch. In 1960 the line was electrified on the 25 kV AC 50 Hz system and continues to flourish in the twenty-first century.
Map of the Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Junction Railway
Balloch station, 27 September 1961. Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
An early view of Bowling station. Note the similarity with early Brunel chalet-style stations
North British Railway Loch Lomond steamers at Balloch. "Princess of Wales," left, "Prince of Wales," right
Site Contents Untitled