Berwickshire Railway John Speller's Web Pages Berwickshire Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Berwickshire Railway
North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Berwickshire Railway was authorized by an Act of 7 July 1862 to build a 20-mile branch line from just north of St Boswells on the Waverley line of the North British Railway northeast to the town of Duns (or Dunse). There was an authorized capital of 100,000 in 10 shares with the option to borrow an additional 33,000. The Engineers were Charles Jopp and Messrs. Wylie & Peddie of Edinburgh. The principal engineering work on the line was the Leaderfoot Viaduct over the River Tweed, just north of Ravenswood Junction where the branch left the Waverley line. The line opened from an end-on junction with the North British Railway's Reston to Duns branch at Duns to Earlston, just east of the Leaderfoot Viaduct on 16 November 1863. Following the completion of the viaduct the line opened throughout to St Boswells on 7 October 1865. The line was operated by the North British Railway. Some passenger trains ran through to Kelso, and some goods trains ran through to Hawick. The Berwickshire Railway amalgamated with the North British Railway on 1 August 1876. Following the flooding on 12-13 August 1948 of the trackbed between Duns and Greenlaw passenger traffic was withdrawn permanently and goods traffic only ran from St Boswells to Greenlaw. The remainder of the line closed to goods traffic on 19 July 1965.
Map of the Berwickshire Railway
Marchmont station in around 1910
Earlston station in around 1905. Image copyright Graham and Emma Maxwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Leaderfoot Viaduct. There are 19 arches, each of 43 foot span, constructed of the local red sandstone. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled