John Speller's Web Pages Wolverhampton & Walsall Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Wolverhampton & Walsall Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Wolverhampton & Walsall Railway was incorporated on 29 June, 1865, to construct an 8-mile line from Wolverhampton to Walsall. It opened throughout on 1 November 1872. There was a connection with the Great Western Railway at Wolverhampton Low Level station, and one to the High Level L&NW station was added in 1878. The Mildnand Railway had its own station at North Walsall, but most trains ran through to the L&NWR station in Walsall.The line was initially worked jointly by the London & North Western and Midland Railways, but these companies proved incapable of agreeing with each other, and the Midland withdrew. By the London and North Western (New Lines and Additional Powers) Act, 1875, the Wolverhampton and Walsall was vested in that company as from the 1 July, 1875. However, at this point the Midland Railway commenced building the Wolverhampton, Walsall & Midland Junction Railway from Water Orton to Walsall, and the London & North Western was able to resell the Wolverhampton & Walsall to the Midland Railway a year later for a massive profit. Although the stations served on the line were relatively populous and prosperous, for some reason the line never paid its way as well as it might have been expected to. The line closed to passenger traffic on 5 January 1931, and to goods on 1 November 1965. The Great Western Railway exercised running rights between Wolverhampton Low Level and Walsall.
Map of the Wolverhampton & Walsall Railway and connections
Willenhall Stafford Road station in around 1910
The staff and some of the motive power of Willenhall Stafford Road Goods Station in around 1910
Wednesfield Road Goods Station, Wolverhampton, in around 1910
Site Contents Untitled