John Speller's Web Pages Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway (GER/MR)

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Eastern & Midland Railways Joint Committee
Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway was authorized on 28 July 1862 as part of an abortive attempt by the Great Eastern Railway to obtain a West End terminus. The line opened on 21 July 1868 between Tottenham North Junction (on the Great Eastern Railway main line) and Highgate Road. An extension to Kentish Town opened in 1870. An extension to Gospel Oak opened on 4 June 1888. In 1901 the Midland Railway desired to use the line between Highgate Junction and South Tottenham as part of a link between St. Pancras Station and the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway. Accordingly, under Acts of 1901 and 1902 it was agreed that the line would be widened and would come jointly under the ownership of the Great Eastern and Midland companies. The Great Eastern had cause to regret this agreement later, since in 1912 the Midland bought out the London, Tilbury & Southend line from under the very nose of the Great Eastern Railway.
Organ Clearing House Junction diagram with the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway highlighted
Crouch Hill station, 30 August 2008. Image courtsey of Wikipedia Commons
Barking to Gospel Oak train at Upper Holloway station on 21 January 2008. Image Copyright Martin Addison and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Trains at Southend c. 1910, bound for Fenchurch Street (left) and St. Pancras (right). Six of the eighteen locomotives in Whitelegg's "51" class of 4-4-2 tank engines built in 1900-1903 for the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway were named after stations on the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway
Site Contents Untitled