John Speller's Web Pages Syston & Peterborough Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Syston & Peterborough Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Syston & Peterborough Railway was promoted by the Midland Counties Railway (later the Midland Railway) and its Act received the Royal Assent on 30 June 1845. The Syston to Melton Mowbray section opened on 1 September 1846. Next came the Peterborough to Stamford section opened on 2 October 1846, initially worked by the LNWR and Eastern Counties Railways since it was at first isolated from the rest of the Midland system. The final section from Melton Mowbray to Stamford opened for goods traffic on 20 March 1848, and to passengers on 1 May 1848. The line was initially conceived as a branch line to Peterborough, but its importance grew beyond all expectations as it became a major artery linking the Great Eastern, Great Northern and later the Midland & Great Northern systems with the Midland Railway. An additional branch line was built from Wymondham Junction, just east of Saxby, to Little Bytham, where it provided an additional link between the Midland Railway and the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway to the East Coast. This branch opened on 1 May 1894. In anticipation of its construction the line, on 28 August 1892 a new station at Saxby was inaugurated and the tracks between Saxby and Wymondham Junction were quadrupled. The four track section was extended to Melton Mowbray and troughs installed on it in 1904. The Wymondham Junction to Little Bytham line closed to passengers on 2 March 1959 and to goods on 5 April 1964.
Map of the Syston & Peterborough Railway
Stamford, the town where no graduate of the University of Oxford was permitted to travel. The elegant stone station is happily preserved. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
An express running via the Midland and M&GNR lines from Derby to Lowestoft at Peterborough on 18 August 1962 perhaps rather inappropriately behind ex-LMS "4-F" Class "1-F" 0-6-0 No. 44013. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Cromer Express behind ex-LMS Hughes "5-P/4-F" ("Crab") Class 2-6-0 No. 42818 at Walton on 15 August 1959. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled