The Swinton & Knottingly Joint Railway was a combined venture of the Midland and North Eastern Railways, authorized by an Act of 16 July 1874. The 15¼-mile line connected at its south end near Swinton with the Midland Railway at Wath Road Junction, and with the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (later the Great Central) at Mexborough West Junction. At its north end it connected with the North Eastern Railway at Knottingly Ferry Bridge. As part of the deal the North Eastern Railway was given running rights over the Midland to Sheffield, and the Midland Railway was given running rights over the North Eastern to York, so the were considerable advantages for both sides. The line's Engineer was Thomas Elliott Harrison (1808-1888). A serious incident took place during the construction of the line in 1876, when an Englishman was attacked by an Irish navvy and in retribution for this a group of Englishmen attacked the huts of the Irish navvies, causing serious injuries to several. The line opened for goods traffic on 19 May 1879, and for passenger traffic on 1 July 1879. It enabled through running between such far-flug places as Newcastle and Bristol, York and Bournemouth. There were stations on the line at Ferrybridge, Pontefract Baghill, Ackworth, Moorthorpe & South Kirkby, Frickley and Bolton-on-Dearne .
Moorthorpe Station, 2006. The once-elegant brick station house has been boarded up and replaced by bus shelters giving very meager protection to the passengers. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Pontrefract Baghill, the most important station on the Swinton & Knottingley Joint line, 2006. This station has fared more happily than the one above at Moorthorpe. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The Knottingley end of the line, excerpted from the 1912 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram
The Swinton end of the Swinton & Knottingley Joint Railway, excerpted from the 1910 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram