John Speller's Web Pages Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway (MR/NER) MR Horizontal Menu Untitled North Eastern Horizontal Menu Untitled
By an Act of 11 July 1861 the Midland and North Eastern Railways were empowered to build a 6-mile line under the auspices of the Otley & Ilkley Joint Line Committee. Construction began in 1863 and the line opened to passenger traffic on 1 August 1865. At Ilkley the line connected with the Midland Railway's branch from Skipton, and at Burley Junction it connected with the Otley & Ilkley Extension Railway to Apperley Junction and thence to Leeds. At Otley it connected with the North Eastern Railway's line to Leeds and York. The section between Burley Junction and Otley, together with the North Eastern Railway's line from Otley to Arthington closed to passengers on 20 March 1965 and to goods on 5 July in the same year. Closure of the remainder of the line was avoided after Bradford Corporation agreed to provide a subsidy for the line in 1972. The line between Ilkley, Bradford and Leeds have now been electrified and there is a frequent suburban electric service operated by Northern Rail, a video of which can be seen here.
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway. To enlarge click here
Postcard view of Otley station in around 1905
North Eastern Railway Leeds train at Ilkley station in 1907
Midland Railway train leaving Otley for Ilkley in 1907
Site Contents Untitled