John Speller's Web Pages Midland Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - British Railways
Midland Railway Untitled UKRH Horizontal MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Midland Railway began as a merger between the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, the Midland Counties and the North Midland Railway in 1844. Shortly after in 1846 they were able to snap up the Bristol & Gloucester and Birmingham & Gloucester Railways from under the nose of the Great Western, after which they began to form a major system in the Midlands. They subsequently built their own main line into London St. Pancras and north via the Settle & Carlisle line to connect with the Glasgow and South Western Railway to Scotland. They were particularly famous for their three-cylinder compound 4-4-0 locomotives introduced at the beginning of the twentieth century. The Midland Railway became part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway at the Grouping of 1923.
Samuel Johnson's Midland 4-2-2 "Spinner" No. 673, one of the fastest locomotives of its day and the mainstay of Midland express services in the 1890s. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
St. Pancras express to Bradford and Leeds behind two Johnson simple 4-4-0s in around 1910
Midland Railway St. Pancras to Glasgow Express behind one of Johnson's celebrated 4-4-0 Compounds, No. 1023, in around 1910
Midland Railway Nottingham Station
Site Contents Untitled