John Speller's Web Pages Midland Counties Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway

Midland Counties Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The The Midland Counties Railway was a major constituent of the later Midland Railway (1844) and ran from a junction with the London & Birmingham Railway at Rugby via a fork at Trent Junction to Nottingham and Derby, with a connecting line from Derby to Nottingham. The line was first surveyed in 1832 by Josiah Jessop, Jr., the Engineer of the Cromford & High Peak Railway, but the initial proposal went nowhere and the line was resurveyed by Charles Vignoles (1793-1875) in 1834, who became the company's Engineer. After much controversy in Parliament the Midland Counties Railway Act was finally passed on 21 June 1836. Three different kinds of track were involved in the construction of the line. The first section was built on lines supported by stone blocks, the next section was built using transverse wooden sleepers, and the final section near Rugby made use of longitudinal sleepered bridge rail. The line opened between Derby and Nottingham on 4 June 1839, between Trent Junction and Leicester on 4 May 1840 and between Leicester and Rugby on 1 July 1840. The Midland main line now runs to Nottingham and Derby from St Pancras via Bedford and Leicester, and the Rugby to Leicester section closed in 1961.
Long Eaton station, 1840. Note that as yet only one set of rails has been laid
Approach to Nottingham on the Midland Counties Railway in 1844
Map of the Midland Counties Railway
Carrington Street station, original terminus of the Midland Counties Railway in Nottingham, 1840
Site Contents Untitled