John Speller's Web Pages Mansfield Worksop Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Mansfield Worksop Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Midland Railway opened its line from Nottingham to Kirkby on 2 October 1848, and extended it to Mansfield on 9 October 1849. A Bill for extending the line from Mansfield to Worksop failed in the 1860 session of Parliament but was reintroduced and the Mansfield Railways Act received the Royal Assent on 5 July 1865. Progress was slow and it was not until 1 June 1875 that the line was opened for passenger traffic. The Midland Railway had running powers on the Great Central line from Worksop to Retford and the Great Central had mutual running rights from Shireoaks to Mansfield, enabling them to run a Sheffield to Mansfield service. With the opening of the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway (later part of the Great Central), Langwith Junction at Shirebrook became a major interchange with connections between the three stations belonging to the MR, GNR and LD&ECR. The Nottingham to Worksop line was closed under the Beeching Axe on 12 October 1964, but the "Robin Hood Line" from Nottingham to Worksop, rebuilt between 1993 and 1998, makes use partly of the Midand Railway route and partly of the Great Northern Leen Valley Line from Nottingham to Shirebrook.
Map of the Mansfield to Worksop line
Whitwell station in a postcard view of around 1905
Ex-LMS "2-P" Class 4-4-0 No. 40632 at Shirebrook West on 17 June 1957. Perhaps more power than was necessary to propel the single coach. Though perhaps also less over-the-top than the minimal trains that were often allotted to Bulleid Pacifics on the Southern Region. The Midland station was actually the easternmost station at Shirebrook, and probably the only one whose name Shirebrook West was anything like accurate. Actually, none of the stations in Shirebrook were anywhere near Shirebrook. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Stanier Class "3-P" 2-6-2T No. 40079 on a Worksop to Nottingham train at Worksop station on 17 June 1957. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled