John Speller's Web Pages Midland Counties Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Midland Counties Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Midland Counties Railway was a T-shaped line with an east-west line from Nottingham via Trent Junction to Derby and and a north-south line from Trent Junction to Leicester and Rugby. The Midland Counties Railway was authorized by an Act of 21 June 1836. The engineer was Charles Vignoles. The Nottingham to Derby line opened to traffic on 4 June 1839. The Trent Valley to Leicester section opened on 4 May 1841, and the final section from Leicester to Rugby followed on 1 July 1840. In 1844 the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, the Midland Counties and the North Midland Railway merged to form the Midland Railway. At first the Midland Railway had to rely upon the London & North Western Railway for service from Rugby to London Euston. This situation improved somewhat when the Midland Railway opened a line from Leicester via Bedford to Hitchin on 7 May 1857. This allowed trains to connect at Hitchin with the Great Northern Railway to London King's Cross, but the original Leicester to Rugby section of Midland Counties Railway then became something of a backwater. The Midland Railway finally obtained its own independent route from Bedford via Luton and St. Alban's to London St. Pancras in 1868. The Leicester to Rugby section closed to traffic in 1961.
Map of the Dore & Chinley Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Ullesthorpe Station in 1840
The Midland Counties Railway station at Leicester in 1840
Ullesthorpe Station in a postcard view of around 1910
Site Contents Untitled