John Speller's Web Pages Yorkshire Dales Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Yorkshire Dales Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Yorkshire Dales Railway was incorporated by an Act of 6 August 1897 to build a branch line from Embsay on the Midland Railway’s Skipton to Ilkley branch, to Hawes on the Wensleydate Railway. However, owing to shortage of funds, only the three-and-a-half mile section from near Embsay on the Ilkley branch through Rylstone/Rilstone to Grassington & Threshfield was built and opened on 29 July 1902. The line was operated by the Midland Railway and was absorbed into the LMS in the Grouping of 1923. Passenger service was withdrawn 22 September 1930, and goods traffic over most of the line ceased on 1 August 1969, and the line was taken up except for about a mile of track as far as Swinden Quarry which still operates.
Map of the Yorkshire Dales Railway and connections
Arrival of the first train at Grassington & Threshfield at the opening of the Yorkshire Dales Railway, 29 July 1902, behind Johnson "1532" Class 0-4-4T No. 1536
Grassington & Threshfield station, circa 1910
The first train on the Yorkshire Dales Railway leaving Skipton for Grassington & Threshfield, 29 July 1902
Site Contents Untitled