John Speller's Web Pages Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway (LTSR/MR)

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway (LTSR/MR) MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The building of the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway (LTSR/MR)cemented a relationship between the Midland and London, Tilbury & Southend Railway that was to lead to the absorption of the LT&SR by the Midland in 1912. It also allowed trains from the LT&SR to run through to St. Pancras station, and for Midland goods trains to use Tilbury Docks via the East Ham branch. The Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway was incorporated by an Act of 1890, and was chiefly promoted by local property developer Sir Thomas Courtenay Theydon Warner, M.P., who became the Chairman of the company. The Midland and London, Tilbury & Southend Railways provided three directors each. The line opened on 9 July 1894, with the branch to East Ham being opened a few months later.
Map of the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway
Class 172 Turbostar diesel multiple unit at Gospel Oak station on 9 September 2010. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Blackhorse Road station on 1 April 1961. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Whitelegg 4-4-2 "Tilbury Tank" named "East Ham" after the station on the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway
Site Contents Untitled