John Speller's Web Pages Skipton & Ilkley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Skipton & Ilkley Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The 12-mile line from Skipton on the Midland Railway main line to a connection with the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway at Ilkley was authorized by an Act of 16 July 1883. The terrain was very hilly and the line required some quite substantial engineering works. The line opened to passengers on 16 May 1888 and to goods on 1 October of the same year. A branch to Grassington, the Yorkshire Dales Railway, was opened on 31 July 1902. Amid sounds of "On Ilkla Moor bar t'at" on the diesel multiple unit's two-tone horn the line closed under the Beeching Axe in 1965. The section between Embsay and Bolton Abbey has subsequently reopened as the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway. Videos of this heritage line can be seen here, here and here.
Map of the Skipton & Ilkley Railway and connections
Lob Ghyll Viaduct, Skipton & Ilkley Railway
At least the down side of the Midland Railway's elegant station at Skipton has survived into the twenty-first century. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Embsay station on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled