John Speller's Web Pages Cheshire Midland Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central, Great Northern and Midland Railways Joint Committee

Cheshire Midland Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
Authorized by an Act of 14 June 1860, the Cheshire Midland Railway, part of the Cheshire Lines Committee (jointly owned by the Midland, Great Northern and Great Central Railways), was opened between Altrincham and Knutsford on 12 May 1862, and was completed from Knutsford to Northwich on 1 January 1863. The line was 12 mi. 64 ch. long and there were stations at Northwich, Lostock Gralam, Plumley, Knutsford, Mobberley, Ashley, Hale and Altrincham. The line met the Manchester, South Junction & Altrincham Railway (Joint L&NWR and Great Central) at Altrincham, and the Cheshire Lines Committee's Chester line at Northwich, allowing the CLC's trains to run from Chester to Manchester Central. There was also a connection with L&NWR's Northwich Branch at Northwich, providing a useful alternative route from Crewe to Manchester via Sandbach, Northwich and Altrincham. A spur from Northwich connected with the West Coast Main Line at Acton Bridge.
Railway Clearing House Map showing the location of the Cheshire Midland Railway
Mobberley Station in 1990. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Ashley Station in 2008. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Hale Station in 1988. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled