John Speller's Web Pages Otley & Ilkley Extension Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Midland Railway
Otley & Ilkley Extension Railway MR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Otley & Ilkley Extension Railway connected the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway (MR/NER) to Apperley Junction on the Midland Railway main line, allowing through running from Ilkley to Leeds. It was built under the Midland Railway (Otley and Ilkley Extension) Act 1861, and was completed in 1865. A further branch which ran from halway along the Otley & Ilkeley Extension Railway southwest to Guiseley Junction, was completed in 1876, removing the need for trains to Bradford having to reverse at Apperley. The North Eastern Railway had running powers over this line, which allowed them to run between Bradford and Harrogate without having to go through Leeds. A further branch from Guiseley to Headingley was planned, but only the section to Yeadon was built and opened to goods traffic in 1894. A planned passenger service never materialized. The Yeadon branch closed in 1964, but although threatened by the Beeching Plan the rest of the line remains open.
Map showing the Otley & Ilkley Extension Railway, which was a continuation of the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway from Burley Junction to the Midland Railway main line at Apperley Junction.
The Oddies Swing Bridge over the Leeds & Liverpool Canal at Baildon. Photograph by Martin Clark courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
A Midland Railway train arriving at Guiseley Station in around 1905 behind a Johnson "1-P" Class 2-4-0
Esholt Junction, 9 June 1892. Five people were killed when two trains collided owing to a signal being obscured by vegetation. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled