John Speller's Web Pages Yeovil Sherborne Railway (L&SWR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
Yeovil Sherborne Railway (LSWR) LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Directors of the Bristol & Exeter Railway came up with the idea of a broad gauge branch line from Durston, between Bridgwater and Taunton on their main line, to Yeovil and Sherborne in the summer of 1844. They were some opposition, however, to this idea from the inhabitants of Sherborne, and so when it went before Parliament in 1845 the proposal had been cut back to Yeovil. Even that was not finally completed until 1853.

It then fell to the narrow gauge London & South Western Railway to link the towns of Sherborne and Yeovil by means of the Salisbury & Yeovil Railway. Originally an independent company, though worked by the L&SWR, the Salisbury & Yeovil Railway was taken over by the L&SWR in 1878. The Sherborne to Yeovil line was the last section of the Salisbury & Yeovil Railway, and opened on 1 June 1860. The Salisbury & Yeovil Railway originally ran for a mile beside the Bristol & Exeter Railway's line from the Great Western station at Yeovil Pen Mill and terminated at the B&ER's Yeovil Hendford station. A year later on 1 June 1861 the L&SWR and B&ER opened a new joint station at Yeovil Town. This station was closed under the Beeching Axe on 1 March 1967 and all trains on the South Western line now use Yeovil Junction.

Meanwhile the L&SWR's Yeovil & Exeter Railway opened from a connection with the Salisbury & Yeovil Railway at Bradford Abbas Junction and established its own station at Yeovil Junction, two miles south of the town, on 19 July 1860.
1905 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram of Yeovil and Sherborne
Sherborne Station, happily preserved in 2009. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The Yeovil Town Joint Station (B&ER/L&SWR) shortly after the gauge conversion in 1874
Interior of the Joint Station at Yeovil Town shortly before the removal of the overall roofs
Site Contents Untitled