John Speller's Web Pages L&SWR Windsor Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
L&SWR Windsor Branch LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Windsor, Staines, and South Western Railway Company was incorporated by two Acts, passed 25th June, 1847, and authorized to raise capital to the amount of 800,000 and to borrow 266,600. The share capital was created by the issue of 50,000 shares of 16 each. The 25-mile line opened as far as Datchet on 22 August 1848, but owing to difficulties with both Eton College and Windsor Castle it did not open to Windsor until 1 December 1849. The fine Windsor & Eton Riverside station was designed by Sir William Tite (1798-1873). Electrification on the line on the 660v DC third rail system was completed to Windsor on 6 July 1930. South West Trains currently operates a half-hourly service of electric trains to Waterloo seven days a week.
Sir William Tite's Windsor & Eton Riverside station with Windsor Castle in the background, 7 August 2007. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The Windsor, Staines & South Western Railway's bridge over the River Thames at Richmond, from the Illustrated London News of 21 October 1848
Waterloo train leaving Windsor & Eton Riverside station in pre-electrification days behind one of the South Western's ubiquitous "M-7" Class 0-4-4 suburban tanks
Map of the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway and connections
Site Contents Untitled