John Speller's Web Pages Shepperton Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
Shepperton Branch LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Thames Valley Railway was incorporated by 25 & 26 Vic. cap. 152 which received the Royal Assent on 17 July 1862. The Act authorized a line from Fulwell Junction near Twickenham on the London & South Western Railway to Shepperton, a distance of 9 miles. The authorized capital was 110,000 in 101 shares, with the option to borrow an additional 36,000. The Chairman and chief promoter was the Rt. Hon. William Schaw Lindsay (1816-1877), of the Manor House, Shepperton, and a radical Liberal Member of Parliament. The Secretary was Nicholas Nonnithorne and the Engineers were Julian Horn Tonne and Joseph Quick. It was originally intended to carry the line across the Thames from Shepperton to a terminus near Chertsey, but this part of the scheme was abandoned in 1862. The line opened to Shepperton on 1 November 1864. The Thames Valley Railway was amalgamated with the L&SWR under the South Western Railway (General) Act of 1865. In the early years of the twentieth century Adams Class "T-1" 0-4-4 tank locomotives were extensively used on the Shepperton Branch. The line was electrified on the 630v DC third rail system by the L&SWR on 1 January 1916.
Map of the Shepperton Branch and Connections
Adams 0-4-4T No. 232 similar to the engines in use on the Shepperton Branch before 1916
Shepperton Station, 2009. There is currently a basic half-hourly service to Waterloo with additional trains at peak periods. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
South Western Railway electric multiple unit similar to those in use on the Shepperton Branch following electrification in 1916
Site Contents Untitled