John Speller's Web Pages Portsmouth Joint Line (1847)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SW and LB&SC Railways Joint Committee
Portsmouth Joint Line (1847) LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
In 1845 the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway obtained an Act to build a line extending their Brighton to Chichester line to Portsmouth. Perceiving this as a threat to their traffic in the neighborhood, the London & South Western Railway entered into negotiations with the Brighton company, as a result of which it was agreed that the South Western would build a connecting line from Fareham to a joint station at Cosham and that the line from Cosham to Portsmouth would be a joint LB&SC/L&SW line. Trains from Brighton to Portsmouth commenced on 14 June 1847. The Fareham to Cosham line opened on 1 September 1848, and L&SWR trains began running trains through to Portsmouth on 1 October 1848. Trains initially terminated at Portsmouth Town (now Portsmouth & Southsea) until the building of Portsmouth Waterside Extension Railway to Portsmouth Harbour in 1876.
Map of the Portsmouth joint line excerpted from the 1910 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram
Portsmouth & Southsea station in May 1970. Image Copyright Roger Cornfoot and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Portsmouth Town Station from the Illustrated London News, 8 April 1882
Portsmouth Harbour station when first opened in 1876
Site Contents Untitled