John Speller's Web Pages Meon Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
Meon Valley Railway LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Meon Valley Railway was a twenty-two-and-a-half-mile line that ran from Butts Juncion near Alton to a junction with the old Salisbury branch just north of Fareham. The line was authorized by an Act of 3 June 1897 and opened on 1 June 1903. It was engineered by the L&WR's Chief Civil Engineer, William Robert Galbraith (1829-1914)and constructed by Relf & Son of Plymouth. Passenger service was withdrawn on 5 February 1955, with goods traffic being withdrawn piecemeal in the early 1960s.
Map of the Meon Valley Railway
Viaduct on the Meon Valley Railway over the River Meon. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Drummond "M-7" Class 0-4-4T No. 30055 at Alton with the last Meon Valley passenger train on 5 February 1955. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
West Meon station in around 1905. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled