John Speller's Web Pages Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway was incorporated by an Act of 14 April 1890 to build a three-and-a-half -mile line from Fort Brockhurst station on the London & South Western Railway's Gosport Branch to Lee-on-the-Solent. When line opened on 12 May 1894 there were intermediate stations at Privett and Browndown. At first the company worked its own line, using locomotives borrowed from the LSWR, but from 1 August 1909 the LSWR took over working the line using railmotors, though the company remained nominally independent. On 4 January 1923, somewhat against its better judgment, the Southern Railway reluctantly agreed to take over the company. It closed to passengers on 1 January 1931 and to goods traffic on 30 September 1935. The line was lifted during World War II, but there is some talk of reopening it either for light rail or as a dedicated bus track.
Map of the Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway showing its connection to the LSWR's Gosport Branch
The terminus at Lee-on-the-Solent in a postcard view of around 1905 showing 0-6-0ST No. 392 running round a branch train
Manning, Wardle 0-6-0 saddle tank No. 392 "Lady Portsmouth", built in 1862, which was loaned by the London & South Western Railway for running trains on the Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway
No. 392 "Lady Portsmouth" on a train at Fort Brockhurst in around 1900
Site Contents Untitled