John Speller's Web Pages Fareham - Cosham Extension (1848)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
Fareham - Cosham Extension (1848) LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
In 1845 the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway obtained an Act to build a line extending their Brighton to Chichester line to Portsmouth. Perceiving this as a threat to their traffic in the neighborhood, the London & South Western Railway entered into negotiations with the Brighton company, as a result of which it was agreed that the South Western would build a connecting line from Fareham to a joint station at Cosham and that the line from Cosham to Portsmouth would be a joint LB&SC/L&SW line. Trains from Brighton to Portsmouth commenced on 14 June 1847. The Fareham to Cosham line opened on 1 September 1848, and L&SWR trains began running trains through to Portsmouth on 1 October 1848. A video showing an ex-LMS "Black 5" at Cosham may be seen here, and another of ex-LNER "A-4" Pacific "Bittern" at Chichester, Southbourne and Cosham may be seen here.
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram of Havant & Portsmouth 1910
Plaque on the footbridge at Cosham station. The firm of Joseph Westwood & Co. specialized in building steel bridges of all sizes and descriptions and more recently built the shield used to construct the cargo tunnel at Heathrow Airport in 1968. Image Copyright Basher Eyre and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The major engineering work on the Cosham Extension is Fareham Viaduct, shown here in a painting on opening day, 1 September 1848
Cosham station from the footbridge in 1969. The original building on the up side has sadly been demolished. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled