John Speller's Web Pages Bishop's Waltham Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&SWR
Bishop's Waltham Railway LSWR Horizontal Menu Untitled
Incorporated by 25 and 26 Vic, cap. 143 (17 July 1862), to construct a line from Bishop's Waltham to Botley, on the South Western. Length, 3 miles. Traffic and working agreements with South Western, which worked the line at 45 per cent. Capital 16,000, in 10 shares and 5,000 on loan. Opened 6th June, 1863. The chief promoter was Sir Arthur Helps, KCB, DCL (1813-1875) who was Clerk to the Privy Council. The Chairman was local entrepreneur William Henry Store, and the Engineer was John Collister (d. 1868), who had been a principal assistant of Charles Vignoles. There was a small station halfway to Bishop's Waltham called Durley Halt that opened in 1910, but traffic was always light. The line closed to passengers on 31 December 1932 and to freight in 1962.
Push-pull train at Bishop's Waltham, circa 1910
The short-lived Dudley Halt station on the Bishop's Waltham branch
Brighton "Terrier" No. 646 "Newington," built in 1887. In 1903 the locomotive was sold to the LSWR, lost its name and became No. 734. In September 1907 it was allocated to Eastleigh shed to work the Bishop's Waltham branch
Bishop's Waltham station 19 April 1963. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled