John Speller's Web Pages Blackburn, Kendal & Windermere Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Kendal & Windermere Railway LNWR Untitled
The Kendal & Windermere Railway, a branch from Oxenholme on the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway via the town of Kendal to Lake Windermere was authorized by an Act of 30 June 1845, despite opposition from none less than the poet William Wordsworth who lived nearby in Rydal. The 10 mile 24 chain double-track line was engineered by Joseph Locke and constructed by a consortium of Thomas Brassey, William Mackenzie, Robert Stephenson and George Heald. There is a little confusion as to whether the line opened on 20 or 21 April 1847. The line was originally worked by the London & North Western Railway under the auspices of the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway, but following a number of disputes, the Leeds firm of E. B. Wilson & Co. took over working the line. The line was one of David Joy's favorite ones, and Wilson supplied a number of iron composite carriages as well as the locomotives, some of which afterwards went to the Natal Railway in South Africa. Wilson brought in Luke Longbottom, later Locomotive Superintendent of the North Staffordshire Railway, to manage the line. This arrangement ceased when the line was leased to the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway for 999 years in 1858, and the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway was itself leased to the London & North Western Railway for 999 years in 1859. Under British Railways, goods traffic was withdrawn in 1972,and the second track was removed in 1973. For a while it seemed likely the line would close altogether, but it enjoyed a renaissance in the late twentieth century, and in 2014 the Minister of Transport, Baroness Kramer, announced that the Windermere branch would be electrified by 2017.
Interior of Windermere Station in 1907
Exterior of Windermere Station in around 1914
Furness Railway 0-6-2T No. 103 at Windermere Lakeside with a Windermere to Grange-over-Sands train in 1919
There are intermediate stations on the Kendal & Windermere Railway at Kendal, Burneside and Staveley (Cumbria). Here is Burneside Station looking toward Oxenholme in 1966. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Site Contents Untitled