John Speller's Web Pages Warrington Bank Quay Station

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Warrington Bank Quay Station LNWR Untitled
A meeting was called at the Sessions Room in Warrington on 7 July 1828 to discuss the construction of a Warrington & Newton Railway between the town of Warrington and the Liverpool & Manchester Railway at Newton-le-Willows. The company was incorporated by an Act which received the Royal Assent on 14 May 1829, and had an authorized share capital of 73,000 with the power to borrow an additional 20,000. The line opened on 25 July 1831 with an initial service of four passenger trains each way daily. For the first eighteen months locomotives were leased from the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, but in January and February 1833 the W&NR took delivery of three locomotives of their own from Charles Tayleur & Co. of the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows. These were named No. 1, "Vulcan" (later renamed "Achilles"), No. 2 "Warrington," and No. 3 "Newton." These were 2-2-0s with 5 ft. 0 in. driving wheels and 11 in. x 18 in. cylinders. The Warrington & Newton Railway was taken over by the Grand Junction Railway and subsequently became part of the West Coast Main Line with the formation of the London & North Western Railway on 16 July 1846. In 1860 the Great Western Railway also came on the scene. The Birkenhead, Lancashire and Cheshire Junction Railway, renamed the Birkenhead Railway in 1859 ran from Chester to Birkenhead and from Chester to Walton Junction, just outside Warrington Bank Quay station. By an Act of 1 January 1860 the Birkenhead Railway was jointly vested in a Joint Committee the London & North Western and Great Western Railways, and became known as the "Birkenhead Joint." The West Coast Main Line and the Birkenhead Joint ran north to south at Warrington through the part of the station known as Warrington Bank Quay High Level, while the Liverpool to Manchester line via Altrincham and Stockport ran from west to east at right angles beneath it and was known as Warrington Bank Quay Low Level. The latter line is now only open to freight traffic.
Warrington Junction in a lithograph of 1848 by Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait (1819-1905)
Ex-LMS Class "3-F" 0-6-0T shunting at the Unilever margarine works next to Warrington Bank Quay station on 9 July 1954. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
A Manchester to Llandudno express heading onto the London & North Western and Great Western Joint to Chester, at Warrington Bank Quay on 8 September 1962. The two ex-LMS "Black Five" 4-6-0s are Nos. 44802 and 45441 Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Builder's drawing of Warrington & Newton Railway locomotive No. 3 "Newton" built by the Vulcan Foundry in 1833
Site Contents Untitled