John Speller's Web Pages Warrington and Altrincham Junction Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Warrington and Altrincham Junction Railway LNWR Untitled
The Warrington & Altrincham Junction Railway railway was created by an Act of 3 July 1851 to build a line from Warrington to Timperley Junction on the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway, from where the Cheshire Lines Railway provided a through line to Manchester. An extension to Stockport was authorized on 4 August 1853, whereupon it was renamed the Warrington & Stockport Railway. The Warrington to Altrincham (later Broadheath) section opened on 1 November 1853. The engineer was Thomas Brassey. The Stockport extension was not proceeded with and it was left to the Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway (CLC)to complete the line to Stockport, opening on 1 February 1866. The line was worked by the London & North Western Railway, and was taken over by the L&NWR on 1 January 1861. Passenger service ceased on 10 September 1962. In 1985 Latchford Viaduct was found to be unsafe, and the section between Latchford and Broadheath was abandoned on 7 July 1985, though the remainder of the line remains open to goods traffic.

Map of the Warrington & Altrincham Junction Railway excerpted from the L&NWR System Map
The Manchester Ship Canal under construction beneath the newly-built Latchford Viaduct, opened 8 July 1893, which carried the railway over the canal
Ex-LMS 4-MT Class 2-6-4T No. 42606 with a Manchester-Warrington local passenger train at Dunham Massey Station in May 1952. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Stanier 3-MT Class 2-6-2T No. 106 at Thelwall Station with a Manchester-Warrington local passenger train
Site Contents Untitled