John Speller's Web Pages Wilmslow & Levenshulme Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Wilmslow & Levenshulme Railway LNWR Untitled
The Wilmslow & Levenshulme Railway was authorized by the London & North Western Railway (New Railways) Act 1899. The heavily engineered line took longer than expected to built and authority to construct the line was extended by the L&NWR (Additional Powers) Act 1906. The line is 9 mi. 36 ch. long. Bollin Viaduct near Wilmslow is of 11 spans, each 49.1/2 ft. and 60 ft. high. Steel girder bridges cross the company's own lines on the Manchester side of Gatley and the Cheshire Lines' railway from Stockport to Liverpool. A brick viaduct, 220 yards long, then follows, leading to a skew bridge over the River Mersey. The bridge crosses the river obliquely at an angle of 60 degrees by one large brick arch with a span of 106 feet, 36 feet above the level of the water, and is 7 feet 6 inches thick where it springs from the piers, and 4 feet thick at the crown. The new line terminates near Levenshulme, joining there the existing Stockport & Manchester Railway, at which point it is 19 feet lower than at the commencement near Wilmslow station, and the line has a ruling grade of 1 in 135. Excavation to a depth of 30 feet was necessary for about a mile, and for the remaining portion an embankment has been necessary. The line opened for goods traffic on 29 January 1909 and for passenger traffic on 1 May 1909. The line reduced congestion on the L&NWR main line and provided an express route that avoided Stockport. the London and North Western Railway opened the Wilmslow- Levenshulme line, providing an express route for London-Manchester traffic avoiding Stockport. It was part of a series of improvements that included Manchester Mayfield station. The line runs from Wilmslow to a junction with the Stockport & Manchester Railway just north of Levenshulme. There were intermediate stations at Wilmslow, Styal, Heald Green, Gatley,East Didsbury & Parr's Wood,Burnage,and Mauldeth Road for Withington.
Map of the Wilmslow & Levenshulme Railway
Styal Station in a view of around 1910
The bridge carrying the line over the road at East Didsbury station is typical of those built by the L&NWR on the Wilmslow & Levenshulme Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Bollin Viaduct at about the time of the Grouping
Site Contents Untitled