John Speller's Web Pages South Staffordshire Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
South Staffordshire Railway LNWR Untitled
The South Staffordshire Railway was authorized by an Act of 3 August 1846 to build an 8 mile 77 chain line from Dudley via Walsall to Lichfield. The Engineer was John Robinson McClean, CE, MP, FRS (1813-1873), who leased and agreed to work the line himself for a period of 25 years until 1871. The first section of the line between Bescot Junction on the West Coast Main line and Walsall opened on 1 November 1847, enabling the L&NWR to run through trains from Birmingham. The section from Wichnor Junction on the Midland Railway main line opened on 9 April 1849, and the final section from Walsall to Dudley Park opened 8 May 1850. In 1860 a short extension was made to a new station at Dudley, jointly owned by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton and South Staffordshire Railways, at which time the Dudley Park station closed. In February 1858 Mr. McClean came to an agreement with the London & North Western Railway whereby they took over working the South Staffordshire Railway and purchased the existing stock of 23 locomotives for 49,486 and agreed to accept delivery of an addition six locomotives then on order from Fairbairn & Co. On the expiry of Mr. McClean's lease of the line, the L&NWR bought the company outright in 1871. Beside the main line, the South Staffordshire Railway had a branch from Walsall to Cannock Chase, another branch to the coal fields near Brownhills, and the so-called Darlaston Loop Line.
Map of the South Staffordshire Railway excerpted from the London & North Western Railway's system map
In 1856 Mr. McClean purchased two 0-4-2ST locomotives, No. 22 "Bilston" and No. 23 "Derby," from Beyer, Peacock & Co. He subsequently purchased another five identical locomotives from Beyer, Peacock for the Cannock Chase Colliery Company, which he owned in partnership with Richard Chawner. The first of these, shown here, was delivered in 1856 and carried the name "McClean."
Local passenger train at Brownhills station of the South Staffordshire line in 1909 behind an L&NWR "Coal Tank" 0-6-2T. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.
L&NWR postcard showing flooding at Walsall station on 13 May 1886. The station flooded a number of times over the years
Site Contents Untitled