Originally incorporated as the Nuneaton & Hinckley Railway by an Act of 18 August 1850, for a single line of railway four-and-a-half miles in length, by an Act of 14 June 1860 the company was authorized to change its name to the South Leicestershire Railway and extend its line from Hinckley to Wiston Magna, just south of Leicester on the Midland Railway main line. It was worked by the London & North Western Railway and later vested in that company by an Act of 1867. The Midland and London & North Western Railways enjoyed mutual running rights between Nuneaton and Leicester Midland.
Map of the South Leicestershire Railway (LNWR red, MR green)
Hinckley Station. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Postcard view of the Midland station at Leicester
Note the fine old goods shed. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons