John Speller's Web Pages Manchester Oldham Road Station (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Manchester Oldham Road Station (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
Oldham Road station in Manchester was the original station of the Manchester & Leeds Railway, chartered in 1836 and opened between Manchester and Littleborough in 1839. Oldham Road station was built in 1839 on the north side of Oldham Road, and the east side of Lees Street. The line reached the station by a viaduct, 30 feet above the surrounding streets, which is the only structure still extant. An Act of 1 July 1839 authorized an extension to an end-on junction with the Liverpool & Manchester Railway at Manchester Victoria, which was completed in 1844. Thereafter Manchester Victoria became the main passenger station and Manchester Oldham Road was downgraded to a goods station. The goods depot was rebuilt and enlarged by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway in 1916. It was closed in 1968 and was subsequently demolished.
Detail of the 1910 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram of Manchester showing the position of Manchester Oldham Road station
Outside the original entrance of Oldham Road station shortly before it was rebuilt in brick in 1916
The viaduct which elevated the Manchester & Leeds Railway above the surrounding streets on the approach to Oldham Road station is now all that survives of the original terminus
Postcard view of Hughes "Q-3" Class 0-8-0 goods engine in 1913
Site Contents Untitled