John Speller's Web Pages Oldham Loop (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Oldham Loop (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
The Manchester and Leeds Railway, which opened on 4 July 1839, bypassed Middleton and importantly Oldham. A branch from Middleton Junction to Oldham Werneth which opened on 31 March 1842. The original Oldham station was at some distance from the city so in 1847 the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, successor to the Manchester & Leeds Railway, extended the line to a new station at Oldham Mumps. There was also an intermediate station at Oldham Central. This extension opened to traffic on 1 November 1847. A further extension from Oldham Mumps to Rochdale East Junction opened on 1 November 1863. This line included stations at Milnrow, New Hey and Shaw & Crompton. A branch off this line to Royton was opened on 21 March 1864, followed on 1 July 1864 by Royton Junction railway station. The final section of the line between Dean Bridge through Faisworth and Hollinwood to Werneth opened on 17 May 1880. The Royston branch closed to goods services on 2 November 1964 and passenger services on 18 April 1966. The rest of the Oldham Loop has now been converted to Light Rail operation.
Map of the Oldham Loop and surrounding railways
New Hey station, 31 July 1968. Image Copyright Dr Neil Clifton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Postcard view of the Mumps Tubular Bridge at Oldham Mumps in a postcard view of around 1905
Milnrow Railway Station
Site Contents Untitled