John Speller's Web Pages Northampton & Peterborough Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Northampton & Peterborough Railway LNWR Untitled
The London & Birmingham Railway promoted a branch line from Blisworth on their main line via Northampton and Wellingborough to Peterborough, and the Northampton & Peterborough Railway's Act received the Royal Assent on 4 July 1843. The Engineer was Robert Stephenson. The single line railway was 44 miles long. The Blisworth to Northampton section opened to traffic on 13 May 1845, and the rest of the line followed on 2 June 1845, when "several of the Directors, accompanied by the Mayor, Corporation, gentry, and other inhabitants of Northampton, journeyed in a train of fifteen first-class carriages from Northampton to Peterborough in two and a half hours, including stoppages of about fifty minutes." Several bridges were washed away in a storm in 1852, when the line was closed for several weeks. The line closed to passenger traffic on 4 May 1964, with goods following on 7 November 1966.
Map of the Northampton & Peterborough Railway, excerpted from the London & North Western Railway system map
Northampton Bridge Street station. Engraving from the Illustrated London News, 1847. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The L&NW station at Bridge Street, Thrapston, in circa 1910
Higham Ferrars & Irthlingborough station in a postcard view of around 1910
Site Contents Untitled