John Speller's Web Pages Lune Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Lune Valley Railway LNWR Untitled
The Lune Valley Railway, also known as the Ingleton Branch of the London & North Western Railway, connected with the Ingleton Branch of the Midland Railway's "Little North Western Railway" at Ingleton Viaduct. The line opened on 1 June 1860 and closed to passenger traffic on 30 January 1954. Goods traffic continued for a number of years, and the line was then retained as a diversionary route for a few years more until final closure in 1967. Until the opening of the Settle & Carlisle line, it formed part of the Midland Railway's main line to Scotland. The principal town on the line was Sedbergh (pop. 2,705), home of a prominent independent school founded in 1525.
Map of the Lune Valley Railway and connections
Steel bow bridge of 1891 near Sedbergh. Image Copyright Phil Catterall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Barbon station looking toward Low Gill on 22 September 1962. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Lowgill Viaduct. Image Copyright Stephen Sweeney and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled