The Liverpool & Bury Railway was incorporated by an Act of 31 July 1845 to build a railway from Liverpool to Bury via Wigan and Bolton. By an Act of 27 July 1846 the company was amalgamated with the Manchester & Leeds Railway, which in turn became one of the origional constituents of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway on 9 July 1847. Construction proceeded rapidly and the route opened throughout from Liverpool to Bury on 28 November 1848. The first section of the line, between Liverpool Exchange station and Walton Junction, between Kirkby and Preston Road stations, was constructed jointly with the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway. The section between Bolton and Bury closed to traffic on 5 October 1970, but the rest of the route remains open.
Map of the Liverpool & Bury Railway extracted from the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway System Map
The Royal Train at Lostock Junction on the Liverpool & Bury Railway behind an Aspinall 4-6-0 in 1913
Bury Knowsley Street station in 1963. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Stanier "5-F" Class 4-6-0 No. 45397 at Liverpool Exchange station on 4 May 1968. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons