LNWR John Speller's Web Pages LNWR

John Speller's Web Pages - British Railways
London & North Western Railway
Untitled UKRH Horizontal LNWR Untitled
The London & North Western Railway came about on 16 July 1846 by a merger between the London & Birmingham Railway, and the Grand Junction Railway between Manchester and Birmingham. The Grand Junction Railway had previously absorbed the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in 1845. At first the L&BR and GJR were run as separate Southern and Northern Divisions of the L&NWR. The GJR had its locomotive works at Crewe and the L&BR at Wolverton. The Northern and Southern Divisions were merged in 1862, when the works Wolverton became the Carriage Works and all the locomotive work was transferred to Crewe. The company had its headquarters at Euston. Through trains to Edinburgh and Glasgow were run from Euston in conjunction with the Caledonian Railway. The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway amalgamated with the London & North Western Railway on 1 January 1922. This gave the L&NWR a second locomotives works at Horwich. The L&NWR became the largest partner in the London, Midland & Scottish Railway on 1 January 1923.
London & North Western Railway "Queen of Scots" express
Bushey Troughs, L&NWR
Grand Junction Railway 2-2-2 No. 49 "Columbine" built 1845 now preserved in the Science Museum, London
The Great Hall, L&NWR Euston Station
Site Contents Untitled