John Speller's Web Pages Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
The Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway was incorporated by an Act of 30 June 1845 with an authorized capital of 532,000 and power to borrow an additional 175,000, to build a line from Penistone (then known as Huddersfield Junction) on the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway to Huddersfield. The engineer was Sir John Hawkshaw (1811-1891). The Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway merged into the Manchester & Leeds Railway on 27 July 1846, which itself merged with several other railways to form the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway on 9 July 1847. The line opened on 1 July 1850, and remains an important through route in the twenty-first century. The original scheme included a branch to Holmfirth, and branches were later added to Meltham (1869-1949) and Clayton West (1879-1983). The Clayton West branch is now run as the Kirklees Light Railway, a narrow-gauge heritage line.
Map of the Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway and its branches
Huddersfield station, designed by James Pigott Pritchett (17891868) and built in 1846-50, is surely one of the finest in the kingdom. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Sir John Hawkshaw's viaduct at Lockwood, 1 miles south-east of Huddersfield on the H&SJR. Lockwood Viaduct is 476 yards long and 122 feet high, and was completed in 1848
Postcard view of the Meltham Branch train at Meltham station in around 1905
Site Contents Untitled