John Speller's Web Pages Horwich Works (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Horwich Works (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
The The original Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway locomotive, carriage and wagon works was on rather a restricted site at Miles Platting just north-east of Manchester. When a larger facility was required, the L&YR purchased a new site in 1884 at Horwich, between Wigan, Bolton and Chorley. The new works opened in February 1887 and included a three bay erecting shop capable of accommodating no fewer than 90 locomotives at a time. The first complete locomotive constructed at Horwich was Aspinall 2-4-2 radial tank No. 1008, built in 1889 and now happily preserved in the National Railway Museum. The L&YR constructed some locomotives of considerable size, including the massive Hughes 4-6-0s and 4-6-4Ts. Perhaps the most famous product of Horwich was the ubiquitous Hughes 2-6-0 "Crab," classified 6P/5F by the LMS. Locomotive construction continued at Horwich until 1957, and the last steam locomotive was overhauled there in 1964. Diesel and electric locomotives were also built and serviced there until final closure in 1983. The buildings are still extant, now devoted to other industrial purposes. There was a public passenger station at Horwich on a double branch off the main line, which operated from 1887 until 1965.
Map showing the location of Horwich Works
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 2-4-2T No. 1008, the first complete locomotive built at Horwich Works
0-4-0ST "Wasp," one of eight locomotives that operated on the 18 in. gauge works railway at Horwich
Making shells for the war effort at Horwich Works in 1915. Image courtesy of the National War Museum
Site Contents Untitled